The Multilingual Childhoods SIG was launched at the 2015 EECERA conference in Barcelona. It has been set up with a view to bringing together researchers who are investigating the learning of two or more languages in the home, school or community by children from birth to the age of 6 years old – this includes aspects of L1 and L2 language development in contexts of awareness of languages, additional languages, foreign languages, second languages, bilingual education, and immersion.
More information about this SIG can be found on the Multiligual Childhoods SIG website
- To bridge the areas of multilingualism and early years education;
- To promote and disseminate research in early years multilingualism and its implementation in policy and practice;
- To create opportunities for informed and constructive discussion and debate;
- To foster possibilities for cross-national collaboration and interaction.
SIG meeting – 31 August, 2016, Dublin City University
Full event details (pdf)
If you are interested in supporting and joining the SIG, please get in touch with Sandie Mourão or Gunhild Alstad.
News & Events
‘Contexts for Multilingual Childhoods‘ Conference, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin 7, May 18th and 19th 2017.
Further information from:
Dr Máire Mhic Mhathúna, Dublin Institute of Technology: firstname.lastname@example.org and,
Dr Sandie Mourão: Nova University, Portugal email@example.com
Activities & Publications
Activities and Presentations at EECERA 2016
- Multilingual Childhoods SIG pre-conference session at the 2016 EECERA conference
‘Second Language Learning Research in the Early Years: Ethical Considerations’ with Dr Máire Mhic Mhathúna, (Dublin Institute of Technology) and Professor Nóirín Hayes, (Trinity College Dublin).
At Dublin City University, from 15.30 to 17.30, Room HG07 (School of Nursing)
- Four Multilingual Childhoods SIG symposia at the 2016 EECERA conference
- EXPLORING LANGUAGE IDEOLOGIES IN MULTILINGUAL CONTEXTS
- MULTILINGUAL CHILDHOODS SIG: MULTILINGUAL PRACTICES FOR MULTILINGUAL CHILDREN
- MULTILINGUAL CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
- CHALLENGE AND SUCCESS IN BILINGUAL LEARNING – NORDIC PRESCHOOLS AS LEARNING SPACES FOR CULTURAL INCLUSION AND SOCIAL JUSTICE