The Multilingual Childhoods SIG was launched at the 2015 EECERA conference in Barcelona. It has been set up with a view to bringing together researchers who are investigating the learning of two or more languages in the home, school or community by children from birth to the age of 6 years old – this includes aspects of L1 and L2 language development in contexts of awareness of languages, additional languages, foreign languages, second languages, bilingual education, and immersion.
More information about this SIG can be found on the Multiligual Childhoods SIG website
- To bridge the areas of multilingualism and early years education;
- To promote and disseminate research in early years multilingualism and its implementation in policy and practice;
- To create opportunities for informed and constructive discussion and debate;
- To foster possibilities for cross-national collaboration and interaction.
News & Events
1. Multilingual Childhoods SIG Pre-Conference meeting
Time: 28 May, 2018, 14.00-17.00
Location: Room K372, Building K, 3rd Floor, Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Budapest, Hungary
In 2018 the pre-conference meeting will be a seminar/workshop on the topic of ‘Approaches to research with multilingual children’. The format will take the form of a seminar/workshop where three articles will be given a short introduction (5 minutes), and then discussed by all the participants. To receive the articles for discussion, please confirm your attendance by email to Dr. Sandie Mourão. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Multilingual Childhoods SIG conference, ‘Multilingual Childhoods: Education, policy and practice’
Time: 15 – 16 May, 2019
Location: Hamar University, Norway.
Activities & Publications
Activities and publications
For publications list please see Multilingual childhoods Research Network
SIG activity for 2017-2018
Participation of SIG members in:
- Publication: Schwartz, M. (Ed.) (2018). Preschool Bilingual Education: Agency in Interactions between Children, Teachers, and Parents. Multilingual Education Series. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer
- Conference: AILA ELL ReN conference ‘Early Language Learning: Multiple Perspectives – Diverse Voices’, University of Iceland, Reykjavík, 13 – 15 June, 2018
- EECERA Pre-conference in Budapest, 28 August, 2018: ‘Approaches to research with multilingual children’ (afternoon meeting)
- Preparation of four thematic symposia for the 2018 annual conference